We all know that spending time with friends and family is one of the most fulfilling things to do in life, but what can you do with your time together to “spice” it up and add some extra flavor? The answer is through a dinner party. Food is the universal way to bring people together and there is no cozier place to have a Dinner Party than your home. Now all you need to do is come up with a fun theme to get your guests excited for the upcoming get together.
Drawing a blank on a theme that will be the hit of the century? Here is a list of 10 fun and different options if you want to go with something less traditional and more engaging. Be sure to make a list of any needed items and order in advance so your party goes off without a hitch.
- Murder Mystery – Download murder mystery games and boxed kits and assign each guest a part to play. They’ll show up in character and you’ll get to play host. Pick menu items based on what will best match the murder mystery setting.
- Rethink Seating – Instead of sitting around a table, put floor pillows on the ground and eat around a low table or coffee table or if you have a backyard use some covers and make an improvised picnic in the comfort of your own back yard. A surprisingly fun activity with your friends/family despite the fact its so easy to set up.
- Dessert First – Who doesn’t love sweets? Start with the desert and proceed to the next meal courses and you will be surprised how much of a “fresh” experience it can bring to the table (pun intended 😊)
- Go Vegan – Can vegan food be a theme? It sure can! Consider trying some of the new vegan foods and recipes taking the internet by storm, such as cashew cream as a condiment instead of sour cream or plant-based burgers. You’ll surprise your guests with something new and avoid potential food sensitivities in one swoop.
- Beach Bonfire Dinner – If you are by the ocean, many beaches have special places for bonfires. Make sure to reserve them in advance because they are in demand but a late-night dinner with your loved ones by the ocean and staying warm by the bonfire is majestic.
- Indoor Picnic – Kids love it, why not do it for adults? Put out a large blanket and plan an indoor picnic for your guests, just with more upscale food and drinks. Great way to get everyone to take their shoes off and relax.
- Mini Menu – Try serving only tiny foods or Spanish Tapas. And by tiny we mean really small. When your plates are filled with tiny food it makes you feel like Alice in wonderland plus you get to try everything and not feel like you ate too much.
- Glow in The Dark – Maybe you’ve seen those restaurants where people dine in the dark. While you probably won’t want your guests running around your house in the dark, consider lighting the dinner with glow in the dark lights or settle for romantic mood lighting with candles.
- Drinks First – This theme is like “dessert first” but just for the adults if you know what I mean. Have everyone bring their favorite wine or prepared mixed drink to share. Make pitchers of drinks from different countries and have everyone try them before any food lands on the table. Be sure to put out some salty snacks or light appetizers to be sure the party doesn’t get sloppy 😉
- Color Theme – Only make food and drinks that are a particular color, or two colors, for a fun twist (works even better if you can match the color to your place or rented place!)
Now, you’ll have 10 dinner party themes get you started. Hosting can be a lot of fun and a lot of work. If you need a talented, personable, personal chef to handle all the cooking, serving and cleaning up NAKS is here to help. We hope your next dinner party is the best one yet!